The corporate culture within Branson’s companies, in conjunction with a management which has a decentralised structure of Virgin Group and also the brand’s strength, is actually a formula for getting success in commercial business success which few business rivals have been in a position to follow. So by means of comparison Sir Richard’s two recent initiatives could be applauded. The very first is the one of his vision of time to come in 2020 which is the result of thinking out of the box.
With an investment of one billion , in the time period of 3 to 5 years, trains moving with a speed of 140mph with by saving time for people to travel in their journeys in between London and all West Coast locations. What is being asked to Government to re-think the operation scenario to provide opportunities to train operators for investment expand the business in railway and lower the burden from the shoulders of taxpayers ?
Rail pundits involved with the Department of Transport developed crap of ‘ High Level Output Statements’, Control Periods, short-term franchises and the fragmented railway just don’t get it. Branson wishes a new collaboration with Government which provides a better function to give training to companies to regulate:
– Development of time table
– Procurement stock specification rolling
Development of stations
– Developments of new routes
– Securing innovative sources of funding
Provide the train companies a lot of the independence that the ‘ Big Four’ pre-nationalisation train companies took for granted and it could result as;
– London to Birmingham journey within 60 minutes
– Development of an underground expansion to Birmingham International station having a one on one link from there to the Western Coast Primary Line at Lichfield using the current M6 corridor
– London to Glasgow Journey time under 4 hours
– Shortcuts from the West Coast Primary Line towards its southern end with the two of them to Heathrow and HS1 to Europe
The vision of Branson 2020 can result in a railway resurrection within some duration of time and enhance the public standing associated with Britain’s railways to the point where there would be a well-liked general opinion at the rear of plans to develop a new top speed networking.
Culture can indicate several things however there is always a simple definition in theory. A Culture can be defined as the way in which people do their things To have a vision without having the suitable culture is a little like a plan lacking matching execution. Is it important to do planning? Indeed. However if there is no execution then?
Each and every organization features a culture, regardless of whether it’s a governmental agency, community centre, a small business, or a family unfortunately there usually is a detachment in his vision which place to go and how to get there with within a culture. Perhaps a good (albeit not original) name for this phenomenon will be dysfunction.
It has so many causes , however possibly not one as pernicious as insecurity in leadership. Everyone has insecurities, but as far as leadership is concern, insecurity in this often breeds a lot of the dysfunction in any organisational culture. Insecurity can in fact encourage individuals to great achievements. Insecure individuals are certainly overachievers and driven of the greatest degree. However they may also foster toxic cultures due to their requirements for power and control.
It would appear that insecurity is poison in associations, and interactions are eventually the locations from which a business exhibits its usefulness or lack thereof. Abilities are important as well, and if the ethnic soil of a business organisation is rich, that business organisation is going to appeal to proficient individuals who will grow and flourish in efficiency.
Humans are attracted to perspective and enlivened by the improvement toward its actualization or frustrated and discouraged by devastating dysfunction. Individuals respond in a different way to dysfunction inside a culture. A few turn out to be enablers, knowingly or unconsciously seeing that as the finest course to go up in prominence and impact (and salary). A few hunker down for the reason that doesn’t wish to take part in the game, but require the pay check. Others move ahead looking for greener and much more useful pasture.
With no research data to support it this is my observation – probably the most functional organizations
Insecure individuals have difficulty valuing other people, due to the fact their thinking is so flipped back to the inside and so much about on their own, their vision, their calling. It requires a fairly safe individual to genuinely value other individuals.
So if someone has to choose, most probably the vote will go to the cultural values. The one that says, “ We value people.” As a leader the pursuit is just not regarding you and your perspective and the utility of the employees in the accomplishment of the vision. Develop a culture of affection and value and observe the employees improve and exceed the vision.
However, it is important first of all to get inwardly secure first.
(B). From your knowledge of change management, what influence do you believe that the culture of the organisation has on the change management of the company?
Explores the prosperous leadership role in commencing and supporting a key strategy of change. The results developed on the work of others who have so ably shown the impact of effective leaders. In accordance with the research on qualitative data from study which submerged itself in the minutiae of life of organization. The resulting change in the model shows that effective management of racial change demands that all the leaders should have cultural thinking, to become led by an intellectual change of model and also to use the resources of cultural significance at the same time making an effort to focus on the tactics associated with approval. Challenging methods and structural variations can be put in place in a parallel manner with smooth representational and politics undertaking. An extremely responsive framework, both genuine and developed, aids through offering a set off for change.
It’s more challenging to alter a lifestyle of an established organisation as compared to develop customs in a cutting edge organization. Any time a business lifestyle has already been set up, individuals should unlearn the existing beliefs, presumptions, and conducts prior to learning the ones which are new. Two of the most key components with regard to making a culture in an organisation change tend to be training and executive support.
– Executive support: The cultural change must be supported by the executive level of the organisation, a kind of support that is a lot more than only words. Behavioural support for cultural change should be shown by them. Top layer of management should lead from the front by changing their own behaviour so that is the reason why it is very important for company executives to give support to the change.
– Training: Change is always based on something; in this case it is based on behaviour change. Everyone in the organisation who is the part of it must make sure and understand what is required from them and they should be flexible enough to mould their behaviours as per requirements one the requirements have been established.
Further Methods to Modify the Culture of an Organisation
Additional elements which are essential in bringing change in a culture of an organisation:
– Produce statement of worthiness and values: make use of worker focus groups, for example in a departmental way, to set a particular mission, perspective, and beliefs in the form of words which express their effect on each and every employee’s job.
Exercise valuable correspondence: trying to keep all workers knowledgeable in regards to the culture of the organisation the process of change makes certain success and commitments. Showing staff exactly what is being expected to them if there is a change in culture of an organisation.
– Organisation’s Structural Review: By brining change in terms of physical structure of an organisation and furthermore to line-up it with the preferred company customs might be required. For instance, a company which is small in size, its four unique units of the business are being competitive for the purpose of a product, clients, and internal support resources
– Change the method of giving recognition and awards: Among other changes, one crucial change should be brought in the system of rewards to let the behaviours essential to the desired organizational culture.
– Review all work systems for example promotion of employee, pay practices, performance management and selection of employee to ensure they are in-line with the preferred culture. For instance, you can’t simply reward individual performance if team work is required and it will be the part of the culture.
(c). Critically evaluate the contributions of the company’s organisation structure to the achievement and change process of the company, considering the complex nature of the industry.
One of the weaknesses in Virgin Company is decentralisation of this organisation. Virgin is going through these sorts of issues.
. Virgin looks at this as strength however the researcher however looks at this as weak spot. As a result of a leadership which is decentralized in the company as well as several sub-divisions of the company, its managing approach has a group of difficulties in the managing systems. This decelerates the development procedures as a consequence of responding to or giving reference to additional directors and board members . It will again be one difficult task for virgin to figure out the pitfalls for accountability within the company. So therefore, the principle of team makeup and management can become obscure and flat.
In the decision making and planning process, it would be crucial to balance out and review all the capabilities of the organisation.
. Although Virgin Group’s procedures management entails emphasizing its primary expertise with market placement immediately following the company’s resource base, in a case where micro and macro environmental factors are ignored by the Branson then the company is not going to be benefited by this act. As a result, Virgin Group of companies needs to be conscious of the most recent management changes operations. , also the other three aspects of PEST analysis which are political, economic and legal issues and other demographic trends. Outside-in potentials need to be developed by the company which could be technology monitoring, channel bonding and making customers connections.
-As the infrastructure of Britain’s rail is very old and poor due to which it affects operations of railway. The primary basic principle of modern-industrial technique is available from assisting infrastructure and creating more resources in addition to aiding connections.
– Economical and time efficient patterns of routing are subject for re-assessment.
– There is a necessity for Virgin Rail’s organization process to be in-line to any ground-breaking technical adjustments influencing the industry such as the balance in technology improvements and dedication to the environmental surroundings.
– The technological commitment of the Virgin Trains is apparent by means of its lasting improvement approach.
(D). What strategy or strategies do you think the company has adopted in the management of the change process in the organisation and how effective has the strategy been?
Virgin will aim to run high speed, comfortable, affordable, low-carbon options for all domestic travel needs.
What we think we should focus on:
– offering an alternative which is low carbon as compared to domestic flying
– Making connections in between several ways of transport
– enhancing transport connections and also the economic perspective of several metropolitan areas as well as other communities
Virgin plans to achieve all those objectives by;
– Trying to lower carbon emissions of Virgin Train by 80, 000 tonnes towards the end of the British rail business in by the year 2012
– bringing down the carbon footprints of buildings by 4% by means of giving facilities of energy management strategy in a business as usual guideline
Virgin Trains are collectively operated and owned by Virgin Management having 51% stakes and Stagecoach Group plc. getting 49% stakes. The train is managed by both the joint owners by means of a joint board which is called as Virgin Rail Group.
Virgin Rail Group at present retains the franchise which is associated with West Coast passenger rail, that it runs as West Coast Trains Ltd. under the brand name Virgin Trains.
Virgin Trains controls its functions the franchise of west coast . It was initially given the honour to Virgin Rail Group on 19 Feb. 1997 for a term which is fifteen years The deals of this franchise will run until March 2012, making replacement in the agreement with the management (legally enforced by a Letter Agreement 2002) which in fact have been in place given that July 2002 following the failure of Railtrack plc.
Virgin will make an effort to operate comfortable, high speed, inexpensive, low-carbon choices for all household needs for travelling.
Lately his experience in copper-plating Virgin Trains’ West Coast mainline contract in case the West Coast main line upgrade didn’t go as planned it might have disappointed a few members of high public officials in the Transport Department . However what has truly influenced his competitors to fury is his perspective that working for one of the companies in the Virgin Group should really be entertaining. To an era of individuals who have done there MBAs from Henley and Harvard universities, Branson’s management viewpoint on them fails to be sensible in any way.
However Great Britain has already established its share of iconoclastic managers who were amazing at encouraging individuals who worked for them. Branson is the most recent one of the excellent tradition that begins with Admiral Nelson and carries on with Sir John Harvey Jones. Great leaders who took for granted that if the truth is told to the people who worked for the company, addressed all of them as smart human beings and kept them knowledgeable an individual end up being an encouraged employees when the circumstances will become challenging then they will carry on to complete their job.
– As being a leader in its industry, Virgin Rails trend moves in the direction of more trustworthy services throughout their potential customers for effective service distributions and product making . They provide the other needs of the customers supported by their management system and personnel.
– The social obligation of supplying exceptional services to consumers is definitely the primary concern. The organization always wants to be in line with its aims, objectives and mission and also providing services of good quality giving by means of consideration of economic values to the customers who belong to the lower end of the consumer population.
– One of the rising concern these days is to be environmental friendly therefore the company has already launched a train which has bio-diesel mechanism and it is Europe’s first train of this kind.
– Poor punctuality must be handled carefully.
This work, titled "Virgin train group and its corporate culture" was written and willingly shared by a fellow student. This sample can be utilized as a research and reference resource to aid in the writing of your own work. Any use of the work that does not include an appropriate citation is banned.
If you are the owner of this work and don’t want it to be published on AssignBuster, request its removal.Request Removal
Cite this Essay
AssignBuster. (2022) 'Virgin train group and its corporate culture'. 21 November.
AssignBuster. (2022, November 21). Virgin train group and its corporate culture. Retrieved from https://assignbuster.com/virgin-train-group-and-its-corporate-culture/
AssignBuster. 2022. "Virgin train group and its corporate culture." November 21, 2022. https://assignbuster.com/virgin-train-group-and-its-corporate-culture/.
1. AssignBuster. "Virgin train group and its corporate culture." November 21, 2022. https://assignbuster.com/virgin-train-group-and-its-corporate-culture/.
AssignBuster. "Virgin train group and its corporate culture." November 21, 2022. https://assignbuster.com/virgin-train-group-and-its-corporate-culture/.
"Virgin train group and its corporate culture." AssignBuster, 21 Nov. 2022, assignbuster.com/virgin-train-group-and-its-corporate-culture/.
Get in Touch
Please, let us know if you have any ideas on improving Virgin train group and its corporate culture, or our service. We will be happy to hear what you think: [email protected]